Re: [hackers] [dwm] applied Jukkas patch

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:16:34 -0400

Sending this again, from a different email. Donno why it's not showing
up.

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 07:54:19PM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> May I ask what this patch is for? I guess the second part is to keep
> gcc from whining, but the first part is unclear to me; as far as I
> know, it now does the same thing as it did before the patch. Btw. note
> that I'm not particularly against the patch or anything, just
> wondering what it's for...

Both parts are to keep GCC from whining. If you use -Wall and not
-Wno-parentheses, GCC assumes that you don't understand the precedence
rules of && and || and, so, complains. I've would up adopting a nasty
gcc.mk file for CFLAGS just to get half decent warnings from GCC:

CFLAGS += \
        -std=gnu99 \
        -pipe \
        -Wall \
        -Wno-parentheses \
        -Wno-missing-braces \
        -Wno-switch \
        -Wno-comment \
        -Wno-sign-compare \
        -Wno-uninitialized \
        -Wno-unused-parameter \
        -Wimplicit \
        -Wreturn-type \
        -Wtrigraphs \
        -Wstrict-prototypes \
        -Wmissing-prototypes \
        -Wpointer-arith \

--
Kris Maglione
Real programmers don't number paragraph names