Re: [hackers] [dwm] bar disapperaing after Gnome explorer is opened

From: Markus Seeber <markus.seeber_AT_spectralbird.de>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:05:00 +0200

On 08/08/2015 12:50 PM, Quolick wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry in advance for being lame.
> I use dwm 6.0 in Ubuntu 14, where the default WM is Gnome.
> And when some X program opened Gnome "explorer" in some directory, everything disappears.
> I can switch to other workspaces using Alt-1, etc, but when I switch to the current one again, there is nothing.
> Is it known bug?

"explorer" is probably "nemo" in your case. Nemo has on gnome also the
responsibility to handle the desktop-background e.g. placing icons on
your desktop. In dwm this causes a new window to be created that is
empty -> your description of "everything disappears".

When running "nemo --no-desktop" this does not happen. This is not a bug
in dwm but caused by some kind of strange design in nemo/gnome.