Re: [hackers] Re: [ii] [GIGA-patchset] Hiltjo-branch

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 00:46:39 +0200

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Nico Golde <nico_AT_ngolde.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is massive, pretty exciting!

Hi and thanks!

It came as a bit of a surprise to me too, but it is nice FRIGN posted it.

There can be some silly commits though since it is an incremental
patchset, so the changeset seems bigger than it effectively is.

>> Changes include major overhauls to the internal infrastructure and
>> fixing many many bugs this way.
>> ii will now clean up after itself properly and be much much more
>> fun and productive to work with.
>> IPv6 support has been added, as well as a way to control ii over
>> a UDS.
>> The code received a major cleanup as well, so it's much better
>> to read and will more likely receive contributions in the future.
>
> I'll check this out and let you guys know if I have questions regarding the
> patches. I'm also in favor of moving this functionality into ii. We've been
> sitting too long on external patches for ipv6 and other things that should be
> universally accepted these days.

Since my branch differed over time I went a bit crazy :). Some
features like the UDS support can probably be left out. For example to
set up a TLS tunnel
it is usually sufficient to bind to localhost (already works).

>> You can imagine how much time went into this, so please check it
>> out and give your feedback.
>
> To be honest I was a little in shock when I saw this. Some of this would have
> been nice to see beforehand, I see some of the patches date back until 2014.
> So bear with me when it comes to integrating this, but I'll try to be quick...
> If I don't make it, that may as well be a good chance to hand of maintenance
> of the project. I guess I've been pretty inactive for too long.

It is my fault, it was my intention to send the patches upstream, but
I sat on the patches too long and over time it was harder for me to
merge the changes back. Take your time to review it and don't hesitate
to contact me (via mail or IRC). I think some of the patches attached
don't apply cleanly anymore, but I can help to fix them up later.

Kind regards,
Hiltjo