Re: [hackers] [libzahl] Switch to ISC license. || Mattias Andrée

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <wcm_AT_sigwinch.xyz>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 15:30:20 -0400

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <wcm_AT_sigwinch.xyz>
To: hackers mail list <hackers_AT_suckless.org>
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [hackers] [libzahl] Switch to ISC license. || Mattias Andrée

Mattias,

Quoth Mattias Andrée:
>> > Now, if we could only get rid of the disclaimer,
>> > but I suspect it is required in some jurisdictions.
>>
>> It's required in all jurisdictions. I challenge you
>> to find one where this isn't needed, afaik there
>> is none.
>> Commercial law is pretty clear in this case. If
>> something blows your computer up, you could
>> theoretically sue. So yeah, let's keep it.
>
>Perhaps. I don't really know about the disclaimer
>stuff, but I would imagine that either you must
>state it, or it would be the default, and the latter
>seem must more reasonable. And anyone could sue
>in either case anyway, and it's up to the court to
>decide. All this disclaimer stuff all seem like put
>a disclaimer on an axe stating that the manufacture
>is not responsible accidental dismemberment as a
>result of clumsy use, no reasonable judge would think
>they are anyway, why you not find such disclaimers
>on axes.

Of course you’re right, but I wouldn’t underestimate the insanity of
the human species. I recently got a box of Taiwanese pastries with
this warning printed on the back: “Please chew and swallow carefully
to avoid choking. We are not responsible for any damage caused by
this product.”

While I understand wanting to protect oneself, the question of
encouraging this madness should be considered carefully. The ISC
license seems sane enough. As licenses go, the one used by FreeBSD
chat(8) cannot be beaten.[0] :)

Regards,

--
wcm