Re: [hackers] [sent][patch] load slide image on-demand

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:00:06 +0200

Heyho Hiltjo,

Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> I have attached a patch that does this, I hope you'll like it.

sorry for the delay. I wanted to include a few other cleanups and was busy. Your
patch is now merged.

> Also I'm not sure if we need the below code in advance(), I have removed it in
> the patch:
>
> if (slidecount > idx + 1 && slides[idx + 1].img)
> ffread(slides[idx + 1].img);
> if (0 < idx && slides[idx - 1].img)
> ffread(slides[idx - 1].img);

Yes, this was intended, I added it again in my cleanup patch. The idea is to
prepare the image of the possible next slide beforehand so there is no lag when
actually switching to that slide.

> A minor issue I notice also is that images seem to flicker, it uses XPutImage
> directly to xw.win. Maybe it can be replaced with a backbuffer then XCopyArea?
>
> In advance() it should also not always be needed to rescale the image.

Thanks for the hints, I've noted those two issues and will look into them when I
have time for it.

--Markus