Re: [hackers] [dwm][patch] Make EWMH windows float

From: Stein Gunnar Bakkeby <bakkeby_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2020 21:55:48 +0200

This hasn't been included in the mainline yet, but I have been trying it
out for the past couple of weeks.

One implication of these changes that I have found is that dialog boxes may
be marked with the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR hint, indicating to the window manager
that it is a transient top-level window.

Transient windows in dwm do not get client rules applied.
In this particular case it does not matter much as transient windows are
always floating, but this can lead to quite a bit of confusion if one has
the center patch and the expectation that the dialog box should be centered
according to the rules.

Another thing that I'm not entirely sure if it is intentional or not is
that in applyrules there is no break once we have found a matching rule, so
it will continue to apply all rules that match. I haven't personally had
any issues with this, but thought it was worth noting.

--
Stein Gunnar Bakkeby
OpenBet Developer