Re: [hackers] [quark] Thoughts on CGI and authentication?

From: José Miguel Sánchez García <soy.jmi2k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 11:49:33 +0100

On 10/26/2020 8:41 AM, Laslo Hunhold wrote:

> Tell me one example where you need CGI which isn't a web forum? To give
> an example how you can solve something statically: A comment section
> could be built by having a static web server and also a very thin
> "handler" that is called when the form is submitted that adds the
> comment to a database and updates the static data on the fly. The
> advantage of this is that if someone manages to "crash" the
> comment-handler or kill the database process or something, the website
> is not affected.

Funny, that's my current use case. All my CGI is through forms, so I'm
currently running a separate server for the form handlers, regenerating
the HTML and then redirecting to the recently updated page through a
"303 See Other" code.

My motivation behind integrating CGI into quark was leveraging the
quality of its implementation to avoid the security pitfalls of
badly-written HTTP servers out there. I would only have to worry about
writing a simple script to handle the form data.

Also, if CGI was integrated into the web server itself, I could use the
same domain/port/endpoint to serve the static page (via a GET request)
and to handle the form (via a POST request). Moot point but it goes a
long way towards usability.

Finally, CGI is often used to customize the content of a page for a
given user. Imagine a logged in user in a forum: they must see a link
that points to their profile. Anonymous users would see a login/signup
bar instead.

I must say that, even with these advantages in mind, I've come to think
that CGI would not be appropriate for quark. Its goals are at odds with
the needs of a CGI implementation, and that's fine (there are
alternatives for those who want CGI). Feel free to prove me wrong :)

Best regards,
José Miguel