Re: [hackers] ed: Enable multi line commands

From: Rene Kita <mail_AT_rkta.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:07:44 +0100

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:55:26PM +0100, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero wrote:
> It changes to read full lines before executing commands, escaping
> newlines when it is needed. It solves 2 different cases:
>
> - Substitution commands with newlines in the replace part

This does not work with a range:

#v+
$ ./ed
foobar1
foobar2
.
1,2s/foo/&\
&/
,n
1 foo
2 foo
3 foobar1
4 foobar2
#v-

> - Global commands with append or insert commands
>
> Still, some additional problems were detected in the case of
> global commands but they will be fixed in a follow up patchset.

I did not test much, but what I tested worked.

BTW, why is there no test suite? I started adding tests[0] for ed when I
attempted to write a patch for this. It's still WIP, though.

[0]: https://git.sr.ht/~rkta/sbase/tree/bsd/item/t