Re: [hackers] [surf][patch] Support PDFs

From: Artyom Bologov <mail_AT_aartaka.me>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2024 15:10:32 +0400

Hi Hiltjo,

> Perhaps this should be disabled by default?
>
> I prefer to use my system PDF viewer.

I see where you're coming from. I am indecisive about it too. But I
guess the reasoning here is the same as file:// scheme: one can open it
in suitable program, but they also can open it in the browser if they
decide to, and the browser should accommodate.

Now to pages that one browses and opens PDFs from. WebKit PDF viewer has
download button that allows to get the file and view it locally. So it
unites the one-stop-shop convenience of in-browser PDF viewer and the
potential local viewing.

> Also maybe it could have potential security issues with the built-in PDF
> viewer(?)

No. It uses pdf.js, which is likely the most maintained and secure PDF
viewer in existence. WebKit folks wouldn't really incorporate it
otherwise either.

Thanks,
--
Artyom Bologov