[news] [blind] 1.0 release

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:24:08 +0100

Hello World!

I am pleased to announce the first release of blind[0]:
version 1.0[1].

blind command line video editor designed primarily for
creating new videos. blind uses a raw video format with
a very simple container. The raw video uses CIE XYZ
encoded with `double`s, with an alpha channel. The blind
tools avoid using parameters give in the command line
as much as possible, and instead use videos, for examples
to blurring a video you use blind-gauss-blur, but
gauss-blur does not have an option for selecting the
standard deviation, instead it expects a video file with
these values, which allows for non-uniform blurring and
time-based blurring.

To use blind, you need to have ffmpeg installed. ffmpeg
is used by the tool that convert video file into the
format blind uses, and by the tool that makes the
conversion in the opposite direction. You may also want
to have ImageMagick installed this is however optional,
but if you do not have it installed, you will have to
manually specify either farbfeld or PAM when converting
to or frame images. No other image format is supported
without ImageMagick.

blind is a video-only editor, you have to use other
tools for editing the audio. ffmpeg can be used to add
audio into a video file, extract audio, or concatenate
audio file.

One problem at the moment is that, unless you want to
rip your hair out, you will need a shell that supports
process substitution, which unfortunately is not too
common. Korn shell, Bash, and if I am not mistaken, rc,
are the only shells I know that supports this. However,
I'm working a sh(1p)-implementation (that will not
support even close to everything sh(1p) specifies)
that will support process substitution as well as
provide access to pipe(3) for more complicated pipelines.

[0] http://tools.suckless.org/blind/
[1] http://dl.suckless.org/tools/blind-1.0.tar.gz