Re: [wiki] [sites] Add CC BY 4.0 license to farbfeld.svg || FRIGN

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:47:00 +0100

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:39:03 +0100
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:02:58 +0100
> Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
>
> Hey Mattias,
>
> > It's ironic that such a sucky vector graphics format
> > is used on a suckless raster format's site. We really
> > need to replace SVG.
>
> haha, yes the irony is perfect. A while back the normal
> way to do things on suckless.org for logos was a bitmap
> file (handdrawn pixel by pixel) and then scaled
> accordingly. The problem is that for instance Lanczos3
> fucks up the rough edges of these pixel images on large
> scaling factors.
>
> This does not happen with SVGs so they are the only way
> to go nowadays.
> My motivation is that hand-written SVGs are alright, but
> everything spat out by Inkscape and other tools is a big
> mess.
>
> Cheers
>
> FRIGN

Well using bitmaps does not really work on today' Web,
so SVG is the only format we are left with.

Yes, image editor's output is a mess, but the SVG
specification itself is a mess to. Then there is
XML to top it all of.

In any case. Replacing SVG should not be a priority,
there are lot of much worse things, that are hurting
a lot more people, that need to be replaced.