Re: [wmii] removing 9base dependency, depending on plan9port as option, switching back to sh?

From: csant <csant_AT_csant.info>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:54:55 +0100

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:49:59 +0100, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
wrote:

>> why its bad to depend on it? I mean sure more people will
>
> The bad side about 9base is, that it duplicates work which is
> already done by Russ, though plan9port does contain much more
> stuff. But I will help Russ to modularize things in plan9port,
> that we don't make changes in two places (or forks).
> On the other hand, many people won't install plan9port because
> it is somewhat too fat (20MB source code), thus the rc scripts
> as an option, maybe with ready-to-go interaction/integration
> into p9p and plumber, and other tools, as an extra/ option
> should be the way to go.

(two cents from a new user to wmii)

As a user you often don't feel like installing this lib and that lib to
satisfy runtime or build requirements of a new app, if those requirements
are some way off the average dev libs. And when I first at wmii and needed
9base, my first thought was "why on earth" etc... As a normal user I might
not spend muh more time on that.

But I happen to be curious. And after discovering that wmii *is* a very
interesting WM, I also took the chance to give Plan 9 a look - I knew
about it, but never had any chance to be more involved than the very basic
"what is this?". And so I got curious - and got hooked up. Thanks for
making me discover Plan 9 :)

Getting rid of the dependencies you currently have sounds like a good
idea: if you are not into plan 9, chances that you feel like installing
9base in order to run your WM are slim. If, on the other hand, you already
have p9p installed, chances you want to install yet another plan9something
set of libs and apps is equally slim. But to leave the option of allowing
wmii to run either with a shell, or, if you have your p9p environment set
up, as a plan9 app, sounds like the best solution. To me.

/c