Re: [wmii] sh flame with Uriel

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:45:44 +0100

I don't have time to argue every time you decide to change tons of
stuff for no reason, just to have to change it back again a few days,
weeks, months later.

You are completely ignoring the main reason for 9base, which certainly
had nothing to do with performance or even sanity: portability.

Before gratuitously changing everything back and forth every dot
release or snap, you could at least make some effort to remember why
it was that way in the first place. It isn't like the first, second,
third, fourth, over even one hundredth time we go over the same
process of changing things back and forth because you prefer to keep
changing crap that at least already worked half properly instead of
fixing really important stuff like focus or full screen.

uriel

P.S.: Obviously maintaining two separated sets of scripts is totally
unacceptable, most people are a bit surprised at first by the rc
system, but once the learn and understand it, they appreciate to have
a sane system that works the same _everywhere_, hell that is the
_only_ reason various stuff like awk is in 9base. The keyword is
_consistency_. The main reason to move to mk eventually was the same.
Also note that if/once mk is properly packaged, depending on it is no
different from depending on make, which is not included by default on
many systems anyway.

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html