Re: [wmii] Re: sh flame with Uriel

From: Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:47:13 -0600

On 3/1/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> > > Uriel won't listen if the opinion does not match
> > > his basic ideology: Plan 9 (good) !Plan 9 (crap)
> > Hah! you don't read 9fans? And at least, unlike you and many others, I
>
> In 9fans most of the readers are much more open-minded than your
> dogmatic ideology and I bet most of them agree with my summary
> about your ideology.

I must point out that the same goes for IRC. I have tried to turn a
few people on to plan9 in general, so they looked to #plan9 for help.
The typical response I hear is "man that uriel guy is an ass", and
then they kinda forget about plan9 altogether.
You don't help your cause being this way, much in the way suicide
bombers do not help spread the word of Islam.

I'd suggest learning the term "constructive criticism" but I know
that's too much to ask.

> > I'm just sick of wasting my time with flame wars about every single
> > frking detail, just to have you change your mind a few moments later,
> > without even a recognition that you were wrong all along. How many
> > times we have to go through the same idiotic dance before _you_ learn
> > to listen?
>
> If you are able to convince me, I'm open minded. If I think that
> a decision was wrong, I try to fix it. I don't see a problem.

I agree. No rational person makes a decision and says it stands for
all eternity (except maybe those convinced that "my way is the right
way, anything else is crap"), most people are able to adapt and
change.

> You have not provided any sane argument why sticking with 9base
> would make sense, which would be worth the effort. You even
> didn't answered my questions, so what do you expect?

Agreed. I have seen no technical details. Only "GNU utilites are
crap". Anyone here can easilly respond in turn with "plan9 utilities
are crap" and return the arguments given 1-for-1, but that hasn't
happened because it's childish. If there is a serious reason to not
support GNU utilities besides that fact that you just don't like them,
please voice it. As it stands you're arguing nothing.

> > Change is good for progress, but random change back and forth is just
> > wasteful and stupid. For every step we move forward, we take two
> > backwards (just to step forward again later after much fighting.)
>
> You have to learn accepting different opinions. Period.

Amen!

Anselm, I for one respect your opinion. Sure I think the plan9
utilites are nice, but I don't know if it's really warranted to
include the whole thing just for minimal control scripts.