[wmii] new (consistent) keybindings in the hg repo

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:15:18 +0000

Hello list, and especially those using -current,

For some time, the default keybindings have been inconsistent, because
new one were added and old ones changed as the new features demanded.
At some point it is time to apply some structure to the chaos though,
and today is that time: I just pushed some new bindings to hg.

Currently, there are three main types of actions in wmii:
- selection
- sending to
- swapping with

With the new bindings, each of these types will have it's own modifier
combination:
- selection -> $MODKEY
- sending to -> $MODKEY-Shift
- swapping with -> $MODKEY-Control

this result in the following list of bindings:

1. selection ($MODKEY):
- selection of areas:
   * prev, next, toggle -> h,l,space
- selection of clients:
   * next, prev -> j,k
- selection of column mode:
   * default, stacking, max -> d,s,m
- selection of things through menus:
   * progs, actions, tags -> p,a,t
- direct selection of tags:
   * 0-9 -> 0-9
- direct selection of progs:
   * x -> xterm

2. send to ($MODKEY-Shift):
- send to area:
   * prev, next, toggle, new, oblivion (= close) -> h,l,space,n,c
- send to something through menu:
   * tags -> t
- directly send to view (= set tag):
   * 0-9 -> 0-9

3. swap with ($MODKEY-Control):
- swap with client:
   * prev, next, up, down -> h,l,k,j

This involves these changes (old -> new):

$MODKEY-n -> $MODKEY-Shift-n
$MODKEY-Control-c -> $MODKEY-Shift-c
$MODKEY-Control-{a,p,t} -> $MODKEY-{a,p,t}
   (and because of this: $MODKEY-t -> $MODKEY-x)
Besides this, the prefix of the sendto and swap hjkl bindings is be reversed, to
make sendto prev/next consistent with the other sendto's.
Also, the direct bindings for wmiirc and quit have been removed, a quit action
has been added to the actions menu instead.

Most of the basic navigation stay's untouched this way, things are
consistent, and some often used bindings require less modifiers; an
overall gain, although this will require some relearning. I'm still getting used
to it myself, but I'm sure in a week or so we will all be happy with
the consistency
this provides.

Greetings, Sander.