Re: [wmii] Identifying the selected client

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:38:24 +0200

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:41:06PM +0000, Neptun wrote:
> Is there any way to identify the selected client so that you can access
> it's properties after it is not selected any more?

No, simply because indexes aren't static and may change if a new
client gets attached or moved/swapped around. Actually I have
something different in mind, I'd like to represent the clients
in /client with their window id (see xprop for detail), ie.

/client/0x8063663/

This window id might be accessed with

/view/X/Y/id

That would be more general and less error prone and provide easy
xprop integration for scripting/tagging stuff.

Call this a feature request for wmii-4.

> I'm trying to write a script that changes the tags for the selected
> client in an interactive manner. That means that i have to open a new
> terminal window that will become selected itself. So i want to
> create a keybinding that sends the selected client's "path" (/client/x/) as
> a parameter to my script. I'm thinking of something like
>
> Modkey-Control-t)
> .... get sel $client here ...
> aterm -e myscript $client ;;
>
> Looking trough the wmii file system i could only see how you can get the
> properties of the selected client itself but not it's "index" in the
> clients list.

Yes.

Regards,