[wmii] Re: fixed size apps

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:08:15 +0200

Hi Sander,

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 06:42:58PM +0000, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> I just pushed a patch (to both wmii-3 and wmii) that provides some
> initial handling for fixed size apps. It adds an extra Bool to the
> Client structure, fixedsize, which is set to true if the client has
> min_width and max_width set to the same value, or min_height and
> max_height set to the same value. If fixedsize is true, the client is
> attached to the floating layer.
> For now, the client is still resizable, and it can also be pushed back
> to the managed layer manually; the reason I haven't changed this yet
> (with the c->fixedsize boolean to refer to this should be simple), is
> because I'm not yet sure if this is the way to go, so I wanted to
> discuss this first.
> I'm quite convinced that allowing an app that expects a fixed size to
> startup with that size on the floating layer is a good thing to do,
> but I'm unsure about any further special treatment. Part of believes
> that we should respect the apps wishes (which basically means disallow
> both resizals and repushing to the managed layer), another part of me
> thinks that we shouldn't bother the user with the app's bad behavior,
> and allow the user to mess up the app's size after starting it if he
> desires to do so...
> I'd like your oppinion!

I think we should not treat them any further. Especially because
accidental resizals are quite hard to achieve. Another reason
which comes to my mind is, that there might be plenty broken
apps of X client developers who think they did it right (like
the ***vt developer ;)), which request a fixed size, but scale
well if not treated that way. I noticed that in several
apps which provide dialogs which are treated fixed size,
although they work fine if resized freely (e.g. open file
dialogs of Qt or GTK).

Regards,