Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:16:55 -0400

> I don't know that it is fair to call this problem app-related given
> that ion3 has no problems determining what kind of window type it should
> give Thunderbird. I don't expect they have any special code just for
> Thunderbird in the C source, and there isn't anything in the Lua for
> Thunderbird specifically.

To be fair to Anselm (and most other developers) - this was just to isolate
the problem. You're the first person we're hearing about that has this
problem and we've been unable to recreate it. This is just natural
debugging. Sure, it sounds like a stupid, unrelated question, but sometimes
those are what trigger the right solutions.

    Still, moving my old .thunderbird out of the way, restarting X and
> wmii-3 and then running Thunderbird gives the correct behavior again, and
> even when I moved the old configuration back it is still working correctly
> for the moment. So it is solved for now, but I'd really like to know that
> when I don't have time to mess with this kind of stuff that it won't
> suddenly manifest itself again.

And what-da-ya-know? It worked! At least the configuration jimmied
something. Perhaps some presentation variable was being stored in the
configuration. Perhaps there was "something else" going on when the
decorations disappeared in the first place... something that you may see the
next time it happens - if it ever happens.