Re: [wmii] More newbie strangeness -- no window decorations?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:07:58 +0200

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:00:38AM -0400, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> >Under normal circumstances no client requests screen size. This
> >is only the case for fullscreen clients. I haven't seen others
> >who request screen size, than explicitely those fullscreen
> >clients.
> >
> By "haven't seen" you seem to be ignoring the problems with
> Thunderbird and Firefox. They are not asking to be made full screen.

Well, firefox and thunderbird save their geometry to the
configuration and they request this geometry the next time they
are started. Normally they only set the initial size to these
values (without enforcing this size using min_width ==
max_width, and min_height == max_height in the size hints). In
the future we can make this scenario more clean to only treat
those apps fullscreen if they set min==max as well, then it is
quite safe that they request fullscreen).

> >Nah, I don't think such apps are broken.
> Relying on behavior that is not standardized is broken. I don't see
> how I can be any more clear than that.

Requesting a specific size is standardized. How the WM responds
such request is up to the WM (conforming to ICCCM), thus I see
no broken behavior, wether on the app side, nor on the WM side.
What I see is need for polishing, that we can solve the issues
you reported.

Regards,