Re: Bar going away? (was: Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion)

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:06:30 +0200

On 6/12/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:55:16AM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> > >
> > >This proposal will make it necessary to write the complete bar
> > >content on every update. I'm not sure I like it. But the idea of
> > >creating labels separated by | doesn't looks to bad.
> > Yes, I'm not at all happy with that aspect of the situation. Nor the
> > inability to set indevidual bar colors (uriel just kicked me, for
> > reference), but I do like the idea of being able to, for instance, just
> > type in a new bar name and plumb it.
>
> There is a difference in how Uriel would like to see the bar and
> me. The bar I have in mind consists of a left bar which is
> editable and takes the rest width of the uneditable right bar,
> which can be used for status info and stuff like done atm.
> Switching views is done through plumbing, the selected view
> might be highlighted with *foo*.

Please read irc logs for what I actually said, which in the end is no
different from acme's tag bars, where you also need an area that is
user editable and an area that is managed by acme. In this case
because the 'managed' area is probably updated by a external client
the best is to have two files ltag rtag, one aligned to the left,
other aligned to the right, probably we could leave both user
editable, but by default status would overwrite whatever the user
edits on rtag. (I'm not too happy with this idea, but sounds like a
good compromise to make most people happy)

And by the way, I never said I want the date/time to be editable, I
only said I want to be able to snarf it directly from the tag. (same
goes for any other status info I might want to have in my bar).

I hope this explanation is a bit more clear.

uriel

> > WAP is crap.
>
> Web is crap.

The world is crap.