[wmii] wmii-ruby plugins for FreeBSD monitoring and XMMS monitoring/control

From: Andy Gimblett <A.M.Gimblett_AT_swansea.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:42:30 +0100

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to advertise this or not, but
it seems a reasonable start:

I've made some "ruby/wmii" plugins for monitoring various bits of
status on a FreeBSD box, and also for XMMS monitoring/control.
They're here:

    http://gimbo.org.uk/archives/2006/07/index.html#a001850

Everyone's welcome to use/abuse, and to tell me how rubbish they are
and how little I know about ruby and/or wmii, as they see fit. This
needs Mauricio Fernandez' ruby scripting magic, and the ruby xmms
bindings if you want the xmms stuff.

The story: I've been using wmii for about a week and loving it. After
three years of Ion I'm used to (and expect) dynamic window management,
but the thing I really love about wmii is it's open-endedness and
configurability. Lua was the number one thing which put me off Ion.
:-)

Being an enthusiastic ruby nuby, I picked up Mauricio's ruby stuff
with glee, and am loving it. The provided status bar monitors didn't
work with my system, however - I'm running FreeBSD, which reports
things like uptime and load averages slightly differently than Linux
does.

Thus, this work, and this mailing list post. :-)

Thanks!

-Andy

--
Andy Gimblett