Re: [wmii] Select window by name?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:34:29 +0200

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:50:40AM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:57:10AM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to be presented with a list of window names, so that I can
> >> choose one with completion in the manner of the "actions" and "prorgams"
> >> "menus" that wmii provides in the default config.
> >>

> > I consider this as unsupported in wmii-3.1, even if there might
> > be some hackish way to achieve this (e.g. fetching the client
> > names from /client namespace, remembering the client id and the
> > tag of each client, selecting the specific tag and client after
> > selection).
> >
> I think there is something I do not understand here. Isn't wmiir
> supported? Isn't every documented command line switch of wmiir supported?
Sure, but there is no cmd to select a specific client by id.

> I merely asked if someone has already done this, to avoid reinventing
> the wheel. It is clear from your message that you haven't done this.
> But perhaps someone else has?
Well, I doubt it.

> >> Perhaps it would be useful to have another action that, if the window is
> >> shown in more than one view, cycles to the next view and focuses the
> >> window there.
> >>

> > I think that is no good idea.
> Why not?

Simply because the tags of a window are displayed in its title
and it's pointless to invent more complexity if you can already
switch to the specific view because you know where a client is
attached to.

> Another possibility would be the following: First, ask the user for a
> window name. If the window is shown in only one view, select that and
> focus the window there. If there is more than one view, pop up a menu
> of views and have the user select amongst them.
>
> Would you consider that better? Why?

No. Because you tend to overcomplicate things. This is no WIMPy
environment to ask the user stupid questions with menus or
dialog boxes. We try to form an efficient environment with at
least interactions as necessary.

Regards,