Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:27:30 +0200

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:24:06 +0200 "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:30:52AM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> X is a network transparent protocol. Any session management
> approaches will stop working at the border of localhost.
Of course, I wouldn't expect some mechanism to run a session on
host A to recover clients that had been running on B.
My point is more about "organized" views. I seldomly want to see
several web pages at once, so max mode and a single column is all
I need for browsing, maybe I have some other window temporarily
in a second column.
For work I often use two terminals side by side, columns in
default/equal mode (e.g. for a gnuplot graph).
But I'm unable to set this up on wmii startup. There's one single
default for the column mode. I have to do that manually each time
I login. Being able to tell wmii that I prefer "1 max column" when
viewing/creating "www" and "2 equal columns" when viewing/creating
"work" would be very nice. (something like that)

> If you have to work on a multiuser host without access to
> suspend,
??? One cannot suspend a machine somebody else has to use.
> then session management as you request will not be
> possible with wmii and the software won't waste the CPU cycles
> for those users, who actually have access to suspend (which is
> the majority). Multiuser hosts are rare nowadays.
If you don't see the need and don't want to do it, ok. But the
number of multiuser hosts depends on where you work. In an office
you may have your own PC, but if you have different computers
dedicated for special uses, they just have to be multiuser. Nobody
can have his own PC everywhere... But you can have a network login
on any PC with personalized user environments. Multiuser capability
has in fact gotten more important over the last years with all those
networked environments everywhere.

Regards,
Stefan