Re: [wmii] Roadmap to 3.5

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:06:34 +0100

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:44:48 +0100
Daniel Danner <mf-wmii_AT_danner.de> wrote:

> On Sunday 12 November 2006 20:26, Denis Grelich wrote:
> > I'd like to hear questions, comments and annotations.
>
> Got one. ;)
>
> I don't know if it has ever been discussed already, but are you
> willing to re-add the indicator for floating windows (~) and the
> index for max mode.?
>
> It was always very useful to know if there are any windows left below
> the raised one in max mode. Furthermore, you sometimes just don't
> know if such a window is actually tiled+max or simply floating at
> full size (before trying to resize it), therefore the ~.

That's a difficult topic. These indicators are, imo, less than optimal.
It should be immediately obvious whether a frame is managed or
floating, and that's something little indicators or numbers just can't
do. What is needed are easily distinctive visual clues, like different
borders or border-styles, different bar styles or managed frames not
having a border, or not having a bar or even some difference in colour.
It's not trivial and I thus would prefer to delegate it to wmii-4,
leaving wmii-3.5 in this area as-is. If 3.5's feature- and code-base is
simple, it will be easier to build wmii-4 on top of it.

Greetings,
Denis