Re: [wmii] improved dmenu-1.4-bottom-patch for wmii users

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:54:19 +0100

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:06:55PM +0100, Denis Grelich wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:02:54 +0100
> "Stefan Tibus" <sjti_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
> > As far as I could follow, wmii calculates the bar height as
> > font.ascent + font.descent + 4,
> > but this results in 1 pixel too high here, so I made it +3. Does
> > anybody know where this may come from?
>
> I think I know. X11's drawing libraries are crap. Some (note: not all!)
> instruction to move »width« pixels to the right when drawing, which is
> an off-by-one. Pretty much annoying. More annoying is that this could
> vary from version to version and from platform to platform.

No, the effect Stefan points out has nothing todo with X* sucks
;)

It is because wmii draws 1px borders (hence the + 4), but dmenu
(like dwm) has dropped those 1px borders around labels, hence
they use font.ascent + font.descent + 2 as bar height.

But due to my understanding of your roadmap, you want to do the
rendering similiar to dwm, to provide more available screen
space to client areas.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361