Re: [wmii] wmiimenu/dmenu prompt option?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:00:59 +0100

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:24:58PM -0800, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:40:55PM -0800, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> >> I feel that the only thing wmiimenu and dmenu are missing is a
> >> prompt option. This option would let you specify a string that is
> >> displayed before the input-area (just like the -p option for the
> >> /usr/bin/read program).
> >>
> > I removed that option from dmenu, it was present in wmiimenu
> > until dmenu's appearance afaik (dunno if it was there already in
> > wmii-3.1).
>
> It is not in wmii-3.1.
>
> > I didn't saw much use in it, and I'm still not sure
> > if it's a good idea, because I believe that there is semantic
> > meaning in the menu items already.
>
> True, having a prompt is not useful in the context of wmii or dwm.
> However, I would like to use wmiimenu/dmenu for my own interactive
> scripts (like managing bookmarks) where having a prompt is essential.
>
> For example, if the user is typing a set of filters (to filter the
> menu choices) the prompt can show the current set of active filters.
>
> Another case is when you cannot determine what operation will be
> performed when you choose something from the menu. This corresponds
> to your idea of having semantic meaning to the menu choices.

Afair Sander implemented that prompt for wmii-4. It worked as
follows: when wmiimenu had been started with -t <text> it
printed the text in the area where you type, and the text was
deleted when you began to type. Dunno what others think if it's
worth to be readded again, I cross-post this mail to dwm@ also.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361