[wmii] Snapshot release of 3.5

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:56:32 +0100

Hello everyone!

like my platoon leader used to say back then, "a plan replaces chance
with failure."* That's what happened to the release of 3.5 -- instead of
implementing the roadmap, wmii-3.5 now just ends up as a snapshot of
the current development version, minus some bugs. It has run stable for
months now and even though it still has some rough edges, it's ready
for daily use. The roadmap for 3.5 will now be the specification for
wmii-3.7. [1]

        http://suckless.org/download/wmii-3.5.tar.gz
        http://suckless.org/download/wmii-3.5.tar.gz.sha1sum
        http://suckless.org/download/wmii-3.5.tar.gz.md5sum

Following a long tradition, wmii-3.5 is not backwards compatible to
3.1. The file system has improved drastically and some functionality
has been removed or altered. This means that all the custom wmiirc's
out there have to be adapted. As my platoon leader also used to say:
"the only constant in this world is Change."

Some parts of wmii are now maintained in their own projects. Check out
the tools[2] and libraries[3] section on the suckless.org project
page. Mandatory are only dmenu and libixp.

Most changes are actually under-the-hood. A somewhat cleaned-up commit
log is attached for those who are interested. Also check out the new
wmiirc to get an idea of the interal changes.

We were able to reduce the total source lines of code (including the
mandatory parts) by about eight hundred lines:

        wmii-3.5 4615
        libixp-0.1 + 2028
        dmenu-1.8 + 597
        TOTAL = 7240
        wmii-3.1 = 8044

Caveats:
        - somewhat weird increment handling (unfriendly gaps between
          xterms)
        - floating windows jump now and then
        - unicode support is a little bit flaky. The key here is to
          chose a good font for your script
        - no moving windows by mouse
        - no frame resizing by keyboard

Merry Christmas to all of you
Denis Grelich

[1] http://suckless.org/~denisg/spec_3.7
[2] http://tools.suckless.org/view.sh/x+tools
[3] http://libs.suckless.org/

* "And if the plan seems to work, you are very likely running into a
   trap."