[wmii] Re: wmii feature requests

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:23:22 +0100

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:22:34AM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Hi Anselm,
>
> I recently started using wmii 3.1 on NetBSD (coming from IceWM and ion3),
> and so far I love it! I have two additional feature requests though. :-)

I'm not the maintainer of wmii anymore. But I still maintain
dmenu [http://xtools.suckless.org] (which has been called
wmiimenu in your wmii version).

Both feature requests can be achieved with a wrapper script.

> - In the program menu (MOD-p), it would be nice to have the possibility to
> invoke console programs (like top) in an xterm (xterm -e), for example
> by pressing MOD-return instead of just return.

Just define MOD-x calling xdmenu.sh:

#!/bin/sh
xterm -e "`lsx /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin | dmenu -b`"

> - Additionally it would be nice to have an additional menu with hosts to
> ssh into (like ion has), since at work, I think 95% of my xterms start
> with "ssh <XXX>". :-) An ssh menu would save some typing, and could
> for example automatically set the xterm window title to the hostname.

Just define MOD-Shift-s calling sshdmenu.sh:

#!/bin/sh
myhosts() {
        cat <<END
host1