Re: [wmii] Dual-monitor setup

From: sqweek <sqweek_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:00:20 +0800

On 10/8/07, Jakob <jakob_AT_pipefour.org> wrote:
> I've had more than one request for my dual-monitor wmii configuration,
> so I thought I'd send it out to the list.

 Cheers. I just got 2 monitors again at work, but of course the
default config around these parts is for TwinView so having a
reference around for dual heads was handy.

> Then, to start two instances of wmii, I have this in my .xinitrc (or
> .xsession, depending on your system):
>
> DISPLAY=:0.0 wmii &
> DISPLAY=:0.1 exec wmii
>
> This can probably be made better so the :0 isn't hardcoded, and so the
> second instance isn't just exec'd.

 I used:
for DISPLAY in :0.0 :0.1; do
        export DISPLAY
        factotum
        plumber
        until wmii; do :; done&
done

wait

 But I'm not quite sure yet whether I actually want seperate
factotum/plumber instances... oh well, not like anything in unix
actually uses it ;)

> I also have a slightly modified version of swarp to allow me to easily
> switch back and forth between my two monitors using hotkeys. In its
> current form, it only uses the current display, so I changed it to allow
> you to use -d to specify the display (again, this could be cleaned up):

 Just use DISPLAY=:0.1 swarp.

> As my original email said, there's a bug in the current wmii snap with
> focus after closing a window, so the focus consistently goes to the
> wrong monitor with my setup. If you find this to be too annoying, the
> previous snap (20070516) worked fine.

 Goddamn, this is annoying. Hopefully work will quiet down a bit and I
can track this down.
-sqweek