Re: [wmii] [ANN] Rumai 1.0.0

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:25:57 -0500

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:07:41AM -0800, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
>I had not read such an article and there was no message_types.rb in
>my code. However, I believe you are referring to the
>over-aggressive OOP factorization of Message classes.

Sorry, message_spec.rb. And I was referring to:

       rsp.type.should == Rversion.type
       rsp.version.should == req.version

There was an article which advocated similar message passing
style, and I strongly disagreed with it. I'd prefer something
more idiomatic, like:

        want rsp.type == Rversion.type
        want rsp.version == req.Version

>Initially, I just had a single Message class that performed to/from
>9P byte-stream conversion for all types of messages (KISS, YAGNI).
>After I did some profiling, it showed that this runtime message
>processing (if format == blah, do blah blah, ...) was a performance
>bottleneck.

I noticed the same thing in mine. I also noticed that ruby was
not designed to run stack machines. :( I like your solution.

--
Kris Maglione
Far-way talent always seems better than home-developed