Re: [dev] Suckless (*NIX|*BSD) Distribution?

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:24:23 +0200

Kris Maglione dixit (2009-06-20, 00:33):

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:21:54AM -0400, Antony Jepson wrote:
> >I've been eyeing Crux lately but maybe Gentoo would be a better
> >choice? If it makes a difference, I currently use Arch.
>
> “Gentoo is for ricers.” Stay away from it unless you're the kind of
> hopeless idealist who doesn't mind waiting hours for simple software
> installs and days before you have a usable system. If you want
> simple-stupid, especially if you're BSD-minded, I'd stick with Arch.

This is a common misconception that dates from years ago. Now the loud
wannabe Gentoo ricer kids have all died out of boredom or got day jobs
and Gentoo is happily used in production as a high quality distro with
great management tools. And easily tunable for light dependencies on
packages if that's what you need.

You can get a usable system in an afternoon (autobuild stage3) where the
installation is basically untarring the base system onto a fs and a
little configuration of the likes of fstab and such is to be done. Then
you build some X-tools, compile dwm and off you go.

I tried migrating my personal laptops to arch, debian and the like and
always keep getting back to Gentoo. Debian is great, but so much less
flexible than Gentoo, and Arch is fine when you get to use the basic
(small) set of packages but venturing beyond that into the AUR is a
*quality disaster*.

You may not like Gentoo for other valid reasons, but what you write is
sweet crap.

Best,

--
[a]