Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:14:50 +0100

2009/7/23 Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Anselm R Garbe<garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> We got config.h for that. The default key bindings won't change ;)
>
> As I observed when I began this thread, your defaults conflict
> directly with a well-established UI convention of many applications
> (the underline convention indicating invoking a menu or button with
> alt+the underlined letter; this convention dates from years before dwm
> was even a gleam in your eye). I'm frankly surprised that you would

Btw this Alt+& convention came from the WIMP paradigm, dwm is
anti-WIMP (because it manages the windows for you).

My/our convention so far is, that a frequently used action should be
bound to key bindings that are easy to access. I understand that
Mod1-{b,t,f,m} are less frequent actions, and I'd be open to change
them into Mod1-Control-{b,t,f,m}, I've no strong feelings about such a
change...

> have done this in the first place, and then compound it by refusing to
> fix it, when (in my opinion) a reasonable fix exists (change
> alt-<non-numeric> to ctrl-alt-<non-numeric>), even for keyboards
> without the Windows key.

See above.

Kind regards,
Anselm