Re: [dev] suckless touchscreen window manager

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:20:48 +0100

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Anselm R Garbe<garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/24 Leandro Chescotta <leandro.chescotta_AT_gmail.com>:
>> yeah, im waiting to see with which window manager google develop for their
>> google chrome operating system... i think is that or android :P then...
>
> Afaik it'll be a new window system, so it's VERY interesting. Perhaps
> we can get rid of X on Linux finally.

I have this horrible feeling that, given google's strategic goals,
whatever they do (whether WM-in-browser or hide-browser-in-WM) it will
both be tailored for HTML/XML/Javascript UI widget technology and will
allow the web-service providing the code (even if its running locally
via NaCl) to specify a look and feel (ie, every web designer will
choose their own new-and-improved UI scheme/look). Given they want to
have as low a barrier (ie, as similar an experience) for transitioning
from web apps on Windows to web-apps on chrome I don't think they'll
want to enforce "web service provides the engine, user gets choose the
look" rules.

So I'm not thinking it'll be challenging X in "personal usability" for
those users who are comfortable installing software locally.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com