Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:28:09 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Szabolcs Nagy<nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/09, Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> fix it, when (in my opinion) a reasonable fix exists (change
>> alt-<non-numeric> to ctrl-alt-<non-numeric>), even for keyboards
>> without the Windows key.
>
> editing ctrl-alt out from the default config is more work than just
> changing the mod key definition
>
>> window manager with defaults that interfere with a well-established UI
>> convention that spans many applications makes no sense to me,
>
> the ctrl-alt is better in that sense but still not very usable
>
> anyway, i could agree with the change if it's just
> #define MODKEY Mod1Mask|ControlMask
>
> what would you use for toggleview and toggletag?

I tried this, adding LockMask to toggleview and toggletag. It does not
work as expected. I brought up a clean dwm (5.6) and started an xterm
(ctrl-alt-shift-enter). From the xterm, I started a (background)
gnucash. I then tried to move the gnucash to tag 9 with
ctrl-alt-shift-9. This moved both the gnucash and the xterm. I then
backed out my changes and tried this again, and just the gnucash
moved, as expected.

Nothing I've tried has been satisfactory, or worked correctly, or
both. I don't think the problems are dwm's; I'm guessing this is X
breakage (such as the issue with Alt_R needing to be pushed first; I'm
running OpenBSD 4.5 and I think the X server is one version behind
what's currently available). So, I've given up, gone to the basement
where some more recent keyboards than the two old IBM keyboards I've
been using were rotting, and put them back into service, the point
being that they have Windows keys. I changed the MODKEY definition to
Mod4Mask, rebuilt and installed, and I'm done messing with this.

Consider it a compliment to the quality of dwm that I'm willing to
give up my nice old keyboards for this newer stuff (I'm typing on a
Microsoft keyboard at the moment; not too bad, and perhaps the
ergonomic design will preserve my aging wrists) in order be able to
continue using it.

/Don