Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Ray Kohler <ataraxia937_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:31:20 -0400

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 8:31 AM, James PIC<jamespic_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Ray Kohler<ataraxia937_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Will it implement enough of xterm's capabilities that I could lie
>> about $TERM and expect it to mostly work? I log into many remote
>> machines of various OS types and ages, and some of them don't make it
>> easy to install user-specific terminfo entries.
>
> Do you mean that ~/.terminfo doesn't work on that machines?

I mean that I can't get sufficient access to write files in there. I
have "captive" access only, where my shell is replaced by a restricted
menu-driven app which doesn't allow me to write files into arbitrary
locations, not even under my home directory. (I also wouldn't be able
to set $TERMINFO anyway.)

There are also some rather broken machines that don't appear to have
tic installed.