Re: [dev] [st] goals / non-goals for st?

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:15:34 +0200

On 8/24/09, Val Polyakov <val_AT_polyakov.me> wrote:
>> 2009/8/24, pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>:
>>> Yep, I dont see why we should delegate scrolling to screen. screen is
>>> bloated GNU
>>> software and i dont want to relay on it.
>>
>> tmux is here for those who hate GNU stuff.
>>

> what's wrong with GNU stuff?

the point is the 'bloat' not the 'gnu' part, although there often seem
to be a correlation between these..

browsing through the philosophy page on gnu.org there are hardly any
mentions about quality, reliability and security disciplines in
software development, they have different objectives and focus on
different matters

i think producing, distributing, publicizing free software is nice,
but not enough. there are important issues which gnu does not address
properly. an illustrative example is the gnu hello world program and
the gnu coding standard which in many ways is the opposite of the
suckless approach.

one has to get his goals right to achieve satisfying results