Re: [dev] Focus after closing a window

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:27:26 +0100

Hi Donald,

2009/8/27 Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>:
> I'm seeing what I think is non-intuitive behavior of the focus after closing
> a window in tiled mode. Here's the situation:
>
> I use rox as my file-system browser. Let's assume rox is by itself in tag 6
> and dwm is in tile mode. Now suppose I open a .pdf file and then another by
> clicking them in rox, having specified xpdf (in rox) as the program to deal
> with .pdf extensions. Now I've got two xpdfs windows in addition to the rox
> window, all with tag 6. The second xpdf is in the master area and has the
> focus. The first xpdf and rox are in the stacking area. Now I do
> mod1-shift-c, which closes the second xpdf, the one in the master area. This
> causes the first xpdf to move to the master area, with rox now the only
> window in the stacking area. But the rox window gets the focus at this
> point. If I fail to notice that and do another mod1-shift-c with the
> intention of closing the first xpdf, I will close the rox window by mistake.

dwm remebers the focus history in a focus stack, since rox was focused
before your second pdf window appeared, it will revert to the window
that had the focus before the second xpdf appeared, which is rox in
your case.

> It seems to me that, before the first close, the focus was in the master
> area and after the close, it should remain there. Having it move at all is a
> surprise and having it move away from the master area, which contains the
> window you just popped off the stack, is a double surprise.

Well it might be less a surprise with the above constraint in mind.

> I am running 5.6.1 without xinerama (which still does not work correctly on
> my system; I'll detail in another message) on OpenBSD 4.5.

Let us know the issues, and also check if the issues also happen with
other WMs that support xinerama.

Kind regards,
Anselm