Re: [dev] A lightwieight and working typesetting system.

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:26:05 +0200

On Sep 02 2009 (Wed, 14:04), Sebastian Stark wrote:

> On 02.09.2009, at 13:56, QUINTIN Guillaume wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you guys know a (working) typesetting system other than latex ?
>
> troff is definitely working and different from latex. Don't know if it's
> useful for general typesetting. There people who use it:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/usd/19.memacros/paper.pdf
>
>> And a good soft to make presentations ?
>
> magicpoint:
>
> http://member.wide.ad.jp/wg/mgp/
>

> Sebastian

checkout troff/groff and lout. both are very well capable of
typesetting publishing quality books if need be (including tables
graphics, equations ...). both are _much_ smaller than a TeX
installation. troff is more 'low level' than (La)TeX, even
when using the existing macro packages (I use 'ms'). lout is much
more high level but it seems not to be in widespread use (?) and is
(according to my view) producing slightly inferior output (too tight
interword spacing). troff/groff at least has a reasonable active mailing list.

joerg