Re: [dev] A lightwieight and working typesetting system.

From: thomas <thomas.bsd_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:31:32 +0200

2009/9/2 <hessiess_AT_hessiess.com>:
>> I recommend type setting using HTML.

I second this: HTML, then a conversion to pdf.

> HTML is useless for document typesetting for a number of reasons:
> -- Browsers are incapable of hyphenating words, justified text has massive
> gaps in it.

The html-to-pdf converter Prince (princexml.com) supports hyphenation,
using Tex patterns.

> -- Browsers are incapable of using ligatures and outher features provided
> by preferential fonts.

Prince supports all opentype features. For instance, to get oldstyle digits:
p { font-variant: prince-opentype(onum) }

If you do not like Prince, you can also print your documents from
Firefox to a pdf file. You can even automate this:
http://torisugari.googlepages.com/commandlineprint2

++
Thomas