Re: [dev] A lightwieight and working typesetting system.

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:05:21 +0200

[2009-09-02 13:56] QUINTIN Guillaume <coincoin169g_AT_gmail.com>

> Do you guys know a (working) typesetting system other than latex ?

I used Latex for most of my typesetting work, but I (also?) feel the
want for a smaller software. Don Knuth is great ... but `troff'
complies more with the Unix Philosophy.

Thus, in future, I want to work more with `troff' and its friends.

Here two pages that list various other tools:

        http://linuxfinances.info/info/document.html
        http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch18s03.html

> And a good soft to make presentations ?

For me, that come up to be the main problem to solve, as `troff' has
nothing like `beamer' ... however, this was was what I thought.

Last weekend, I came across `gpresent'. But I didn't try it yet.

        http://www.science.uva.nl/~bobd/useful/gpresent/

The requirements are not so nice (groff, perl) ... but it might be a
base to start with.

meillo

P.S.
        http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/why-not-pdf.html

Is PDF that bad? I don't think so. PS is great, of course.

What do you think?