Re: [dev] Alternative for tabbing in web-browsers?

From: hailukah <shaw.josh_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 05:50:42 -0500

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:37:39 +0200
Yoshi Rokuko <yoshi.rokuko_AT_yokuts.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:51:38PM +0200, Julien Steinhauser wrote:
> >
> > On surf, ctrl-y, echo -e `sselp | dmenu` >> $file bound to a key
> > binding, and you can tag it as you like, retrieving is just as so
> > easy, just load the grepped file in a vertical dmenu, fresch patch
> > for dmenu on archlinux forum has multiselect feature so one can
> > load several url in one dmenu go.
> >
> > On a surf launched with the -x option, the two steps required to add
> > a tagged bookmark to a list are reduced to one step.
> > If one wish to add the window title to the bookmark,
> > just pasting such a string somewhere in the bookmarking script does
> > the trick xprop -id `cat ~/.surf/id` | grep WM_ICON_NAME\(STRING\)
> > | cut -c 24-
> >

> i try to minimize my key bindings that's why i use a bmark script
> (evoked by dmenu again) like that:
>
> switch(`{echo -e search\nload\nstore | dmenu}){
> case store
> xprop _SURF_URL | sed 's/.*= "//;s/"//' >> /home/hiro/bmarks
> case load
> xprop -f _SURF_URL 8t -set _SURF_URL `{cat /home/hiro/bmarks |
> dmenu_vrtc -l 20} case search
> query=`{echo | dmenu}
> xprop -f _SURF_URL 8t -set _SURF_URL
> 'http://www.google.de/search?q='^$"query }
>
> i don't use the xid because i dont know how to do it, how do you guys
> do it? how do you start surf (script?), do you have only one surf
> instance? what do i miss here?
>
> regards, yOshi

Here's my custom config.h and and my surf-script.sh. The config.h is
for hg tip, but the spawn function works in 0.1.2 as well. Just
copy/paste as required.

surf-script.sh should be placed at $HOME/.surf/surf-script.sh. There
should also be a file at $HOME/.surf/stack with a list of urls.

The spawn function calls surf-script.sh with a configurable first
argument (look at the keybindings), the xid as the second argument, and
the url as the third. surf-script.sh is just a fancy case statement that
acts according to the first argument.

surf-script.sh can also be called with no arguments for a new browser
instance. I use it bound to a key in dwm to launch surf.

The script also interprets "g foo bar" to be a google search for "foo
bar".

Regards,
josh