Re: [dev] Suckless mail client solution?

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:17:27 +0200

Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> following (n)mh in this respect, though I'd really appreciate having
> some kind of mail dir pager, perhaps the relevant parts ripped from
> mutt or written from scratch. I always found that the threading
> display in mutt is excellent and I'd really think the basic mail
> lister + previewer as an addition tool in the mh tool chain for
> listing mails and threads would be nice, it's the only feature I'd
> really miss and the only feature with a crappy curses dependency in
> the toolchain ;)

I have always hated the threaded views..Well that's not true at all,
few years ago I used to use them a lot, and yeah, mutt owns the best
threading view (compared to thunderbird, claws..)

But actually I dont find them useful or practical because they hide the
timeline of the mailbox by strange trees of mails.

What I would really find useful is a decent filtering system , but always
keeping the timeline, which is in mail one of the most important things.

If you are not following a thread you can just hide it with grep, or
viceversa,
you can also autoremove all the mails related to a thread, etc..

I think that hypermail also has a threaded algorithm implemented, you
can get a look on it if you are interested, but I dont think this is useful
in mail handling. I would prefer a flat view like

  [thread1] -> go inside to view only these mails , Show between parenthesis
                      the number of new mails in this thread.
  [thread2] ...
> (Though I wouldn't mind doing such a lister in X instead, following
> the paradigms of curses but having an X based implementation of a text
> based UI).

I want to create a simple pipe-based with some daemons usable from
other programs in batch mode to retrieve info or launch actions.

The frontend should just manage a queue of processes doing some
tasks. I dont really like ncurses, and for this kind of interface I
would just
write a ansi-based frontend able to run commands, hook keys to commands,
this should be enought for launching $EDITOR, manage the addressbook,
apply filters on mail lists, etc..

The current state is quite incomplete, but I hope to publish soemthing
usable
for the end of this month.

Once all this stuff is working I would like to work on the design of the
frontend,
but I think that a simple list manager should be enought for most of the
situations.

Did you ever look the 'menush' app in hg.youterm.com ? I wrote a 'emenu'
program
that it is something like dmenu, but for shell, allowing autocomplete in
single line
and ansi-based interactive menu with arrows and so on. I use it to
launch scripts
in my n770 (yeah many years ago) and actually im using it in the dingoo
console
to run emulators and roms from commandline without a keyboard.

--pancake