Re: [dev] [surf] next release

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:59:30 +0100

2009/10/21 Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>:
> (1) * removing urlbar/searchbar and using dmenu instead
>
> I'm not sure if this is so attractive, since dmenu does not support x paste
> (without a patch) and one always finds oneself (or at least I do) cutting
> and pasting into the searchbar.  The ultimate solution, it seems to me, is
> to have dmenu support x paste in vanilla.  This strikes me as superior to an
> "in-surf" solution (which uses GtkWhatever) for a number of reasons.
>        (a) It keeps the code simple (on the surf side that is; dmenu will
> need
>        to change).
>        (b) Other web-based activities (smart prefixes in particular)
>        could benefit from a dmenu + x paste.  For example, I have a
>        surf-googlesearch.sh script which runs dmenu after parsing my user
> input
>        from dmenu.  It would be nice to x paste into the dmenu rather than
>        typing out a given google search (e.g.  when one is searching
> someone's
>        odd name.)
>        (c) In general, I like the xprop interface and allowing applications
> other
>        than surf to interact with surf (which is what your new _SURF_FIND
> feature
>        allows--which is great--which is why we need dmenu to get patched!)

There is sselp(1) at http://tools.suckless.org/sselp which reads
current selection and prints it to stdout, hence enables you to
integrate it into dmenu's cache or calling surf `sselp` directly.
There shouldn't be a real need to paste something interactively into
surf or dmenu really.

Kind regards,
Anselm