Re: [dev] multiple fonts in wmii

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:01:15 -0500

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:52:39AM +0200, Yuval Hager wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>Can wmii support multiple fonts? This way if glyphs are not found in the
>first font, the next one is being searched.
>I am looking for some functionality along the lines of
>http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#How_does_rxvt_unicode_choose_fonts
>(yes, this link actually works).
>
>Most fonts do not contain the glyphs for my native language, so I am ending
>up with blank squares instead. If I modify wmii font to one that contains
>native glyphs, the latin letters are just ugly..
>
>OTOH, shouldn't fontconfig do this (select matching fonts by language) by
>default? it obviously is not the case in my setup, and I couldn't find any
>docs on how to make this work the way I expect it to.

wmii supports multiple fonts in exactly the same way as rxvt.
Just list them separated by commas. If you want fontconfig,
prefix the font string with xft:, otherwise you get regular X11
fontsets, which have atrocious unicode support.

--
Kris Maglione
The tragedy of modern war is not so much that young men die but that