Re: [dev] multiple fonts in wmii

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:54:08 -0500

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 02:09:07PM +0200, Yuval Hager wrote:
>I've tried this, and it looks like it is not working.
>Running
>$ wmiir xwrite /ctl font 'xft:Arial'
>presents the Hebrew characters correctly (in windows title, and mpd status area), while
>$ wmiir xwrite /ctl font 'xft:terminus-10'
>presents just white boxes instead.
>
>So I try:
>$ wmiir xwrite /ctl font 'xft:terminus-10,xft:Arial'
>but no change from previous (white boxes).
>
>I also tried not using xft for the first font:
>$ wmiir xwrite /ctl font '-*-terminus-*-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,xft:Arial'
>
>but they all give the same result.
>
>I've tried to run urxvt with the same settings, and it seem to work fine:
>$ urxvt -fn '-*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,xft:Miriam Mono CLM'
>
>(in testing the terminal, I used a mono-spaced font - but all fonts give the same result).
>
>I must be missing something?

Well, first of all, you can only specify xft: once, at the
begining of the spec. You either get Xft or you don't, you can't
mix them. Second, it seems that Xft isn't as smart as I thought
it was. As far as I can tell, the only thing I can do is query
the fonts myself with fontconfig and render the individual
glyphs myself. Given the general bulk of code required to do
that, and the likelihood of errors, I'm not especially willing
to add it, but I may consider it if anyone has suggestions on
how to do it cleanly. I'm not willing to link in Pango or Cairo,
for very obvious reasons.

There is another option, which is to generate the composite
fonts externally. I'm sure there must be apps to do this, but I
can't name any names off hand.

--
Kris Maglione
I had a running compiler and nobody would touch it.  They told me