Re: [dev] Re: a little bit of vi+zsh magic

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:10:55 -0500

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 02:50:36AM +0100, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 07:23:42PM +0000, Jacob Todd wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 09:49:36AM +0100, Uriel wrote:
>> > I use ed almost every day, it is by far the fastest way to to small
>> > edits, by the time vi starts up, I have typed /foo\n c\n bar\n .\n
>> > wq\n
>> Vi? nvi (the only vi clone I know of) starts up instantly for me.
>
>Isn't there another one called elvis?

Elvis and vile aren't really vi clones, in the sense that vim
isn't a vi clone. They're "enhanced". nvi is too, I suppose, but
not as much. But there are a few plain old "vi" clones around.
Solaris/SunOS has its own, for instance. Then there's busybox's
vi. The original is still floating around, too. Bill Joy
notoriously started using ed because there were so many
incompatible version of vi floating around that it became
unusable when you had to work on different systems often.

--
Kris Maglione
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple,