Re: [dev] [OT]: Go programming language

From: Preben Randhol <randhol_AT_pvv.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:34:44 +0100

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:14:12 +0100
Christoph Dibak <chris_AT_freizeitblogger.de> wrote:

> I had to learn Ada at university. First I thought that this Pascal
> Syntax simply sucks. But then I realized that Ada is realy nice.
>
> The best part of Ada is that it is strongly-typed. I think also it is
> a good compromise between high-level functions and low-level
> operations.

Yes, and the code gets readable without having to include lots of
comments. What I like with Ada is that the compiler gets enough
information to be able to rule out a lot of bugs in the program. It is
not like C/C++ where everything compiles and then keeps failing to run
until you have spent some 48 hours in a debugger. In fact with Ada I
never did need to use a debugger to find the bugs. Ada is as was
mentioned in safety-critical software from banking, telecommunication to
transport. Next time you travel you most likely will be flying Ada, if
you take the Athens Metro (among others) you will be "driving" with Ada
etc... More info: http://www.adacore.com/home/ada_answers/

As to Go, I find some of the statements about it a bit strange. It is
about reducing typing. However, it needs a lot of ; { } etc... that was
avoided in f.ex Python. It is said to be dynamic, but mostly it seems
to be statical with dynamic options. What I like is that it is strongly
typed and has automated memory handling. It is sad that in 2009 we
still have multiple security problems due to poor memory management.

--
Preben Randhol