Re: [dev] [OT]: Go programming language

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:00:47 +0100

[2009-11-12 15:32] Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com>
> 2009/11/12 markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>:
> >
> > Remember: ``Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its
> > simplicity.'' (dmr)
>
> Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here.

You said something like that a quick look at the syntax lets you judge
if it is clean/nice/whatever or not.

I posted the above quote to show you that even simple things may not
be easy to see.

> > You mean: It has a not so strange/different syntax.
>
> No I mean TCL has a similar concept with lists but implements it with
> (in my mind) a nicer syntax. Trying to put words into my mouth isn't
> going to change reality.

So tell me: What's the difference between ``it has a not so
strange/different syntax'' and ``it has a nicer syntax''.

> > My motivation to post in this thread was to point you to a language
> > that will enhance your view in this discussion.
>
> Well you've failed in that attempt. I just don't see anything special
> about Lisp.

> but until you point out what makes Lisp have a cleaner and more
> logical syntax than C, I just don't see it.

I'm no Lisp guy. I just see a great programming language design in
Lisp. Actually, I don't care if you do too. Maybe you'll see its
elecance too somewhen, maybe not. You might not miss this experience.
But maybe you will.

``Lisp is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience you
will have when you finally get it; that experience will make you a
better programmer for the rest of your days, even if you never
actually use Lisp itself a lot.'' (Eric Raymond)

You can take the impressions people share with you, or leave them --
it's your decision.

> Don't get me wrong, there are improvements that could be made to the C
> syntax, I just don't see that any of them would come from the Lisp
> syntax.

I agree. It would simply end in a mess when one tries to mix these so
different worlds.

Consistency is important. See this quote: ``It seems to me that there
have been two really clean, consistent models of programming so far:
the C model and the Lisp model.'' (Paul Graham)

I'll end my participation in this thread now.

meillo