Re: [dev] wmii can save settings on close, can't it ?

From: Yannic Haupenthal <mail_AT_thedarkwebsite.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:00:18 +0100

djp_AT_linuxcaffe.ca wrote:
> Quoting Yannic Haupenthal <mail_AT_thedarkwebsite.de>:
>> Hm ok, i get it now ;)
>>
>> I have the same problem, so i wrote in my wmiirc (in the Tagging Rules
>> section):
>>
>> /Firefox.*/ -> 3
>> /Thunderbird.*/ -> 2
>> /Pidgin.*/ -> 4
>> /alsamixer.*/ -> 0
>> /weechat.*/ -> 4
> Ok, looks like I'll have to learn tagging rules next..

Yeah, they're great, but it's not difficult to understand.
Read the Manual [0] ;)

[0] http://wmii.suckless.org/guide

>> And yes, i know that Firefox and Thunderbird sucks ;)
> yeah, but sometimes you need them, and nothing the sucks less.. works ;-)
>>
>> At system start i run a little script:
>>
>> thunderbird & &>/dev/null
>> firefox & &>/dev/null
>> pidgin & &>/dev/null
>> urxvt -T "weechat" -e sh -c "weechat-curses"& &>/dev/null
>> urxvt -T "alsamixer" -e sh -c "alsamixer"& &>/dev/null
> /dev/nul starts the app and then kills the xterm ?

No.
The line "thunderbird & &>/dev/null" means: You start thunderbird in the
background, so that you can use your terminal again and write every
output (normal output and errors) to /dev/null [1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dev/null

The line "urxvt -T "alsamixer" -e sh -c "alsamixer"& &>/dev/null" means,
that you start a terminal (urxvt) in the background with "alsamixer" as
title and alsamixer as program. Output will be written to /dev/null.

>> So there is every program on a predefined window.
> ohhh... I'm starting to get it... wow!
>>
>> Is this is a solution for you?
> I think (if I understand correctly) that this solution will be perfect.
> Thanks so much, It made me sad to think I was going to have to leave my
> new-found-friend; wmii.
> I will probably be tugging your chain down the road,
> djp

Ok, no problem ;)

Best, Yannic