Re: [dev] [OT]: Go programming language

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:14:23 +0100

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/11 Preben Randhol <randhol_AT_pvv.org>:
>> Syntactically the language seems a bit confusing at first and
>> unfortunately too similar to C.
>
> I don't get what people have against the C syntax. It's the cleanest
> and most logical syntax I've come across so far.

Go's syntax is considerably cleaner and more rational; it takes a bit
to get used to, but after a while it is a non-issue (and I suspect
after a longer time of using it, going back to C might be a bit
painful).

> Has anybody had any experience compiling Go on BSD yet? According to
> the install instructions the compiler only supports Linux and Darwin.

There are people actively working on ports to DragonflyBSD, FreeBSD
and OpenBSD as far as I know, the FreeBSD port seems to be done bar a
few bugs, and probably will get committed any day (some bits already
went in yesterday).

> My suspicions are it's going to have the same drawbacks as C++

Your "suspicions" based on what? Some crack you were smoking?

> with a
> different syntax and possibly more dependencies,

What dependencies? It has a runtime and a set of libraries, no
different from C++, plus it already has two quite independent
implementations in good shape, can't say the same of C++ (where all
implementations suck, by design).

uriel